Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Valentine's Day

My Valentine's Day was nice. Justin and I enjoyed a nice quiet evening together, and even got to make fondue, yum!
My heart was content.

However, earlier in the day I was witness to another heart breaking.
We got our new foster dog yesterday, and as we were welcoming her to our home, another home was ripped apart. Her owner was a little old lady. She was going into assisted living and had to give her 6 year old companion up because she cannot take her with her.
I went to pick her up at the site and didn't think the owner would be there. I know her family was taking care of the dog right now so I figured they would be there, but was not expecting the lady. Well she was there. At first she was cheerful and told me about Lizzie, the dog. Showed me her tricks, told me what she doesn't like, and her normal routine. I nodded, smiled, and laughed at all the appropriate times. But inside, I was dreading what was to come. And that was when I would leave with Lizzie.
I went to put all of Lizzie's things into my car, and coming back in, the lady's daughter was crying a bit because she knew the time was coming. We talked a bit longer, and they handed me Lizzie. The little old lady got up and said "well I will go wait outside." She went out and stood by the car. I could see her through the window right outside and she stood by the car, looking the other way, head down.
I left a few minutes later, and the little old lady was still there, back turned to us, not being able to watch us walk away. And right there, my heart broke for her.
I drove away thinking what a crappy day I chose for this to happen. I told them Monday would be a good day for me since I was off, completely forgetting it was Valentine's Day.
Lizzie has been doing ok, she's a bit scared of her new surroundings, and our hyper dogs aren't helping out much. But she seems more comfortable today, I think it'll just take her awhile. Even though foster dogs aren't allowed on our furniture, I let her lay next to me on the couch last night. I made an exception for her.
I will post pictures of Lizzie in another post. Today is my birthday and I am relaxing as much as I can before I head into work tonight. Please say a prayer for Lizzie's owner if you have a minute. Thank you.

Thoughtful Tuesday,

Photobucket

No comments: