Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I wish...

I wouldn't even know where to begin with all the wishes I have. I have the obvious ones...to carry a baby to term, for love, peace and happiness, health etc... But if I had oodles of money, I would give it all to charities. I'm not just saying that because that is the nice thing to do. I really would. A few years ago, I probably would not have said that. Heck, probably not even last year would I have thought such a thing. Here's what started it all...
Anyone who knows me knows that I am all for animal rights. I am a member of ASPCA and give regularly each month to the organization. They send me newsletters and stories of dogs and cats and what they have endured. I cannot bring myself to read stories of animal abuse, even if it does have a happy ending. In my heart I still felt that I wasn't doing enough. That is when we became a foster home for dogs. Well, a few days ago, I got something from Petco asking for money. I have received letters like this before. I feel a bit sad every time I throw something like that out, because I wish I could give to every organization in the world. But for some reason, I read this particular one. It was a few stories about seeing homeless people begging for money so they could feed their animals. I lost it halfway through reading it. From these people's experience in the letter with homeless families and their animals, an organization was formed with Petco to help feed the animals of homeless people so they wouldn't have to give up their beloved pets. I couldn't even imagine being homeless and having to give up my animals. I decided right then and there I would give to this organization. It then got me thinking how I wish I could give to every charity, but in reality, I cannot. I felt a pit in my stomach thinking how helpless I felt that I couldn't give to every charity I wanted to. There are probably endless numbers of charities out there, all for extremely good causes. My passion is animals. Other people's passion may be to raise awareness for a disease that has affected them directly. My heart sank thinking about all the sons, daughters, mothers, fathers, aunts, uncles, beloved grandparents, husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, fiances, a good friend, nieces, nephews, brothers, sisters and countless other people are affected by a million different diseases, conditions, accidents or life altering situations that come their way. And all the charities and organizations formed to raise awareness, whether big or small, are limitless. Thinking about that made me feel helpless. I want to help them all. But realistically I don't have enough money. I wish I did.
But for now, I will continue to give to what I am so passionate about. And that is the animals. And hope in some small way, I am helping save someone's beloved animal, or helping them find a new forever family.
I wish I could help them all.

Happy Wednesday my friends,
Photobucket

1 comment:

Lara said...

You are a wonderful person! It's so good that the animals have someone like you on their side.