Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Harder than I though

Our foster dog Tucker got his new home. Although we are thrilled he has a forever family, it is bittersweet. And even though that is the goal, it still felt like a punch in the gut. I will tell you why.

Since the local organization we go through is based on volunteers only, Saturdays are the big adoption days where people can go and actually see the dogs in person. When we have a foster dog, they schedule them on certain weekends. Well, Tucker didn't go very much because with the holidays and our weekend schedules, it was hard. Lately, they seemed to call me on weekends I worked and Justin was busy and we couldn't take him down there on Saturdays. So last week I called and asked them if he could go on Saturday. They said yes and Saturday morning we dropped him off. I was expecting to pick him up that afternoon so we dropped and left. I got a call only a few hours later telling me he was adopted and went home with his new family right then and there. I knew that's what happened. I knew that's what we signed up for. I knew he wouldn't be with us forever. I knew all this.
But it still was a blow when I was told we didn't have to pick him up that afternoon.
I was told he went with an awesome family. That there was an instant connection with him and the dad. That's great and all, but I still felt deep in the selfish part of my heart that he belonged here with us.
So I dried my tears and went on with my day. I didn't get to say goodbye, but the important thing is he is with his family now.
When we first started this fostering program, I was told I would want to keep every animal I foster. They told me it would be hard, but if I kept that one dog, then I wouldn't get to experience knowing all the other dogs I will foster in the future.
I know this. I felt this way after every dog we've had, but it's still hard not having them here anymore.
Of course I will continue to do this, this is what I was meant to do.
Even though the Tucker chapter closed, there are many more dogs out there that need families that I hope I can help. Until then...

Happy Wednesday,

Photobucket

No comments: