Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To make me appreciate what I have

Do things ever happen to you that make you stop, and make you look really hard and sweetly at the things in your life? That happens to me on occasion, and every time I am thankful for that reminder. I really try hard to stop and tell myself, "remember this moment, and cherish what you have."
Driving home from work this morning, while everyone is out starting their day, I saw three dogs. Three dogs running across a busy street in a place where there were no homes nearby. It was a busy commercial area so there were plenty of people around, but they seemed lost. A few years ago, my heart would break a little, but I would drive on. Now, I stop. Remember, this is how we found Tucker =)
Anyway, a few really sweet baristas at an espresso stand were feeding them treats. I stopped to see if they had tags, and only one of them did. All three were really sweet dogs, they were definitely family dogs. The other two did not have tags. So I called the number on the tag and left a message since there was no answer. I had no idea what to do after that. The barista girls and I were not sure what to do with them. They were still hanging around, but looked like they were about to leave any moment. Justin convinced me that they were probably family dogs that ran around during the day and knew their way home. The baristas were talking about calling animal control or putting them in their car to hold them. Either way, I didn't know what to do. If it was just one dog, I would probably have taken it, but there were three, and one was a really big one, and I had a really small car. So feeling defeated and sad, I left.
When I got home, I got on craigslist, and lo and behold, an ad was placed about two dogs who went missing yesterday. The two dogs without tags. I called the number and those dogs turned out to be the missing ones in the ad, so I told the owner where they were. Right when I hung up, the owner who's name was on the tag called me back and he said his dog was in fact missing, so I told him where to find the dog. I then called the espresso stand and told them the owners were found, but they said the dogs just ran off. So I'm going off hope that the owners found them nearby.
I did all I could, but I felt like I could do more. It hurt my heart to leave them there. Even though the owners were found, I still felt so helpless.
So when I got home and went to bed, I hugged my dogs a little harder, and gave my big dog a treat. He's not allowed to get on furniture, and he's fine with that. He rarely ever tries to get on things. This morning I let him sleep in bed with me and I could tell he was so excited! I don't know what I would do if my dogs ever went missing, but I do know that all my dogs will ever know is love.

Please, if you have a dog, make sure they have a collar with a tag on it, sometimes it makes all the difference.

Happy Wednesday,
Photobucket

No comments: