Monday, July 26, 2010

What I've learned

It seems to me that this past six months has been a huge learning experience, and an eye opener. Although I would rather not have gone through what I have been through, it's made me grow up a lot. I obviously cannot change it. I would be lying if I said I wouldn't change it. Because I wish things had ended differently and I was in a state of pure ignorance. I would change it in a heartbeat.
But life had other plans and I had no say in it. So I go with the flow and hope for the best.

I've learned patience is a virtue, it's something I wish I had more of.
That really good friends show themselves when it matters the most.
My husband is definitely my rock.
Writing has been an outlet for me.
Photography has been my creative outlet.
I cannot control the future, no matter how much I wish I could.
We are our own best advocates.
The power of prayer can be healing.
Things in life just don't make sense. We just have to accept it.
And even when we are in our darkest days at our darkest hour, there is still glimpse of light, albeit small, but it's still there.

Years ago when I was in high school I used to have a collection of my favorite quotes and poems in a five star notebook. It traveled with me wherever I moved, and I would read through it less and less over the years. I haven't seen in it in who knows how long. Tonight a line from a poem I wrote down in there popped into my head. I kept racking my brain trying to think where the poem was from. Then I remembered my quote book. I have no idea where it's at and I don't even know if it made the move to our last house about three years ago. But I did find the poem online and wanted to share it with you all. If you are ever feeling down or low on yourself, read this...

After a while you learn the subtle difference
 between holding a hand
and chaining a soul.
And you learn that love doesn't mean leaning,
and company doesn't mean security. And you begin
to learn that kisses aren't contracts
and presents aren't promises.
And you begin to accept your defeats
with your head held high and your eyes open,
with the grace of an adult, not the grief
of a child.
And you learn to build your roads on today
because tomorrow's ground is too uncertain
to walk on. After a while you learn that even
sunshine burns if you get too much.
So plant your own garden and decorate your
own soul, instead of waiting for someone
to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure
that you really are strong
And you really do have worth.

-unknown.

Happy Sunday (or early Monday morning) my friends,
Photobucket

2 comments:

Erin said...

I love this post! So gentle and so true.

waiting said...

I also had 2 back to back miscarriages, and I know how devastating and emotionally draining it is. Glad to say that my next pregnancy after the 2 miscarriages STUCK and he is now 16 months old! I ALSO LOVE quesadillas! They are probably one of my favorite foods in life!!!